Kids can have loads of fun during Snowdown at many family-friendly events. We have put together a quick list of some of the best family friendly events you don't want to miss. There are many other great events during Snowdown that can be fun to watch. Check out the full list of activities at Snowdown.org, or pick up an official Snowdown guide at Magpie’s Newsstand or other locations Downtown.
Saturday, February 27
- Snowdown T-shirt Tie Dye Get Down at Sun Sapphires at 1pm. Have a groovy time creating your own tie-dye t-shirt. All materials are provided. All ages welcome. Cost is Free.
- Snowdown Paper Airplanes at Office Depot at 2pm- Come make and decorate your own paper airplane. Then see who can fly the farthest. Participants will be divided into grade categories- Elementary, middle, and high school. An Adult must accompany each minor contestant.
Sunday, January 28
- Lovin’ Laps Hamster Derby at Creature Comforts at 1pm- Get ready for the Hamster Derby! This is open to all small pets that can travel safely in an exercise ball that is size appropriate for that pet. There is a suggested donation of $10 to participate. Anyone is welcome to come watch. Sign up Here.
- Snowdown Opening Ceremony at Purgy’s Patio at Purgatory Resort at 1pm. It’s a Snowdown celebration with a parade down the “Hill” to pass the Snowdown Torch from 2023 to now. Come ski in costume and you can join the parade! Meet at the 6 pack lift at 1 PM to join the fun!
- Snowdown Hopscotch for kids and adults at Gazpacho Restaurant at 1pm. Join us for a hopscotch speed style. There will be races for kids and adults. Prizes will be awarded.
- Snowdown Chess Tournament at Durango Winery at 2pm. Are you good at chess? We are looking for the best chess player in Durango. If you love chess come out to show us your skills. All ages are welcome. Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 players.
- Flower Crown Class at EsoTerra Ciderworks at 3pm- Join us for a far-out Flower Crown Class at EsoTerra Ciderworks. Whether you're a free-spirited youngster or a wise old soul, you're invited to craft your own enchanting flower crown. Open to all ages. Event cost is $10.
Monday, January 29
- Snowdown – Pajama Party Night at EsoTerra Ciderworks- Get into your PJ’s and join us for a night of fun. The evening will be filled with family friendly activities including Scooby-Doo Cartoons, Ouija board, retro video games and more. There will also be a build your own Mac N’ Cheese of your dreams. This is the ultimate slumber party and you’re invited!
Tuesday, January 30
- Snowdown Flower Garland Craft Event at the Durango Public Library at 4pm – Come make a one-of-a-kind flower garland. All supplies will be provided. No registration is required. For Teens and Adults 13+
Wednesday, January 31
- Snowdown Hula Hoop Contest at EsoTerra Ciderworks at 2pm – It’s time to show off your skills with this hula hoop contest. There will be three rounds of competitions that include time style and race. Hula Hoops are provided. Just bring your moves and your free-spirited vibes. All ages welcome! Free entry!
- Flower Power Craft Party at Durango Dance at 4pm- Dancers get ready for a glow in the dark dance party! There will be a flower headband craft station where you can craft your own crown. Prizes will be awarded. Entry cost is $5 per child. For children 3 to 10 years of age.
- Giddy Up and Grow Dancing at the Wild Horse Saloon at 4pm- Join us for a fun after school dace party. Learn some new groovy moves, have some snacks and a nonalcoholic beverage. There will be line dance lessons for various age groups. For ages 9-17 Entry Cost is $5. Prizes will be awarded.
- Snowdown Spellebration at the Powerhouse at 5:30pm- Join a spelltastic team or just come watch as teams go head-to-head to see who can flaunt their best spelling skills. Come in costume and adults can enjoy some cocktails. Hosted by The Durango Adult Education Center. There is an entry cost of $250 per Team. Prizes awarded.
Thursday, February 1
- Snowdown Slowdown- Bike Limbo & Foot Down Contests at Lola’s Place at 4pm- Do you have Wheely good balance? Show off your balancing skills and compete to see if you can stay balanced on your bike the longest without putting your feet down or going outside the designated boundary. For two-wheel bikes only. Helmets required. All ages Prizes awarded.
- Snowdown Button Making Skills at the Durango Public Library at 4pm- Create your own Snowdown Flair. Create your own design or choose one we have and create a groovy button to take home. All supplies are provided. Cost is free.
- Snowdown Jr King and Queen Contest at the Best Western Rio Grande Inn at 4pm- Hosted by McDonald's and Best Western Rio Grande Inn. For ages 7-10 years old attending Durango grade schools. Winning royalty will ride in the SNOWDOWN Light Parade Friday night! All ages are welcome to attend the final selection of the competition.
- Snowdown Tye Down- Fly Tying Contest at the San Juan Angler at 5pm.- Show off your fly-tying skills at this fun competition. Tye your best files on a small, medium, and large hook. All ages welcome. Entry is free. Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd for men, women, and youth divisions.
- Snowdown Boho Games of Spoons at the Union Social House at 6pm- Join us for a night of spoons as we battle for the coveted spoon crown. All ages are welcome. Entry is free. Prizes awarded.
Friday, February 1
- Snowdown T-shirt Day- Downtown- Show off your peace and love for Snowdown by dressing in the super groovy Snowdown 2024 themed shirt. Need a shirt? No worries, stop by Magpies to get yours!
- Snowdown- Apple Tree Hugger Contest at EsoTerra Ciderworks- Embrace your inner apple tree hugger. At EsoTerra, we're taking the love for apples to a whole new level with a far-out timed contest. The mission? Move 69 apples from one side of the room to the other, using only your arms and clothes attached to your body...and a whole lot of positive vibes. All ages welcome. Free entry.
- Alien Invasion at The Powerhouse at 3:30pm- Bring the who family for a fun night of spectacular space-themed science silliness. Have fun with the forces of physics and build your own spaceships and aliens. Pizza is included with admission, so you can grab dinner before you peace out and invade the parade afterwards!
- Snowdown Light Parade, 6pm, Downtown Durango- The Snowdown Parade is Durango’s only evening parade where glamorous-themed, lighted floats create a dazzling display. The parade will be showcasing vibrant colors, peace symbols, tie-dye, and flower power motifs for everyone to enjoy. Get all the information you need before you go! Click here for information on parking, transportation and street closures
Saturday, February 3
- Snowdown Balloon Rally Mass Ascension, 8am, Hwy 550 and Hermosa Meadows Road. Check out the beautiful display of hot air balloons launching in the early morning hours.
- Snowdown Knockout and Around the World Basketball Tournament, 9am, Durango Community Recreation Center. Players will play through these classic games of knockout and around the world. Play will qualify players to championship rounds of each game. Ages 7 to adult. The event cost is $25. Registration is required. Prizes awarded.
- Snowdown Kids Snow Games at Folsom Park at 10am- join us for a super fun and silly Snowdown event. With fun games like Tug o’ war, broomball, obstacle course and more. For children 3years up to 5th grade. Hosted by McDonald’s of Durango. Cost is free. Prizes awarded.
- Flower Power Pre-School Dance Party, at the Durango Public Library at 11am. - Little ones and their families are invited to don their most groovy get-up and come dance the morning away. Open to ages 10 and under. Event is FREE!
- RC Car Race at the La Plata County Fairgrounds Courtyard at 11am- RC Car Enthusiast of all ages are welcome to race their cars on our Snowdown inspired track. Bring your own car or use an available RC card for a donation to Mountain Middle School RC Car Club. All ages Welcome. The event cost $2. Prizes award.
- Canine Fashion Show at the McDonald’s parking lot at 1pm. Calling all pups. Show off your pups at this hysterical fashion show. The categories are funniest, dressed alike and SNOWDOWN theme related. It's a howling good time! Canine of all ages welcome but please keep your leashes on. All ages. Event is FREE.
- Glowdown at Snowdown in Downtown Durango in the 500 Block of Main- Come see the vibrant colors and groovy glow of balloons. There will be four tethered hot air balloons and three candlesticks (like you see in the parade). This is a free family friendly event.
Sunday, February 4
- La Plata County Search and Rescue Pancake Breakfast, 7am-Noon, La Plata County Fairgrounds. Enjoy a great breakfast and support La Plata County Search and Rescue. Volunteers will be serving pancakes, eggs, ham, coffee, and juice. It’s all you can eat. Tickets are $10 for adults and $6 for kids (7-10), 6 and under are free.
- Snowdown Balloon Rally Mass Ascension, 8am, HWY 550 Animas Valley- This spectacular event features a beautiful display of colorful hot air balloons ascending in the early morning frost. Enjoy the beauty of seeing balloons climb skyward and float down the Animas Valley. The Saturday Mass Ascension will be held adjacent to the railroad tracks on HWY 550 N.
Learn more about all these events and more at Snowdown.org or pick up an official Snowdown guide at Magpie’s Newsstand or other locations Downtown.