Durango is a great place to celebrate the 4th of July! The City of Durango, BID, Durango Chamber of Commerce, Visit Durango and La Plata County Fairgrounds and Events Center have collaborated to plan 25+ activiites from Saturday July 1 to Tuesday July 4.
PRE-4th of July
Red, White and Blue Selfie Contest - A weekly contest where you take selfies in your best red, white or blue outfits and submit for $100 gift card! One winner every week leading up to the 4th.
Decorating Contest and Scaenger Hunt - Friday June 30 to Tuesday July 4. Vote for the best 4th of July window display at shops in Downtown and in the North Main District. Some of these shops will also be part of the scavenger hunt. Inside these stores will be a clue to the next location. Get your scavenger hunt map marked at as many locations as possible. Turn them in at the Street Dance (see below on Tuesday July 4) to be in a drawing for a prize!
LIVE MUSIC at the Animas City Theatre! Check out The Burroughs Friday June 30, doors open at 7 pm and tickets are just $20. The Burroughs is a 9-piece act that describe themselves as "sweaty soul music."
Saturday July 1
A Taste of Independence - A Celebration of La Plata County's Indepedent Food Trucks noon to 3 pm @ La Plata County Fairgrounds and Events Center
- Pie Eating contest at 2:30 pm
Watermelon Eating Contest 4 pm @ 11th Street Station
- 3 age ranges - up to 6 years old, 7 to 15, 16+
- Cool prizes!
- limited number of entrants, reserve your spot in advance by texting Carmen at 970-749-7204
KSUT's Party in the Park Concert at 5 pm featuring Ozomatli @ Buckley Park
- Tickets $25 in advance, $30 at the gate but this might sell out!
Live music at the Animas City Theatre! Check out the Gasoline Lollipops.
- Tickets $20. Doors at 7 pm, show at 8 pm.
Sunday July 2
- 6:30 to 11 am - Breakfast in Durango. Can you cite patriotic facts without using your cell phone? Visit any of these fun (and delicious!) restaurants on Sunday morning for a great breakfast and a patriotic challenge. Earn an American flag or a free re-fill on your coffee/tea by singing a verse of the Star Spangled banner, naming 7 presidents or all the US states that begin with the letter A. Each restaurant has a different challenge, a different prize, and different operating hours. Visit: Hermosa Café, Denny’s, Durango Bagel, Love and Juice at 11th Street Station, Magpies, the VFW Hall or Old Tymer’s Café.
- 5 to 7 pm - Ice Cream Social at the VFW, right next to Rotary Park
- 6:30 to 7:30 pm - FREE jazz concert at Rotary Park featuring Southwest Civic Winds
Monday July 3
- Rafting Day - enjoy a float down the Animas River through town at several local businesses.
- Pie Baking Contest at 3 pm at EsoTerra Ciderworks
- Live music, acrobatics and free outdoor movie at Buckley park
- 7 pm - live music with Drama Club
- 8:15 pm - Durango Aerial Arts and Acrobatics
- 9 pm - movie: Sandlot
Tuesday July 4
@ Rotary Park
- 7:30 to 10:30 - Rotary Club of Durango and Daybreak Rotary Club All American Gourmet Breakfast
- Menu - scrambled eggs, green chili eggs, sausage, pancakes, fruit topping, biscuits and gravy will be served.
- Cost - adult ticket is $13 in advance or $15 after July 1. Children 6 to 12 ticket is $6 in advance or $8 after July 1
- Get tickets in advance at https://rotarybreakfast.square.site or by scanning QR code on posters around town, or from any Rotary Club member
- 9 am - Freedom 5K Fun Run
- 9:15 to 10:30 am - Southwest Civic Winds Patriotic Concert
@ Buckley Park
- noon to 4:30 pm Building Homes for Heroes 4th of July Picnic With Live Music, Food, Kids Activities and Beer Garden (live music - noon Vinyl Lust, 2:30 pm Kirk James Blues Band)
@ Main Avenue in Histroic Downtown Durango
- 5 to 6 pm Stars and Stripes Parade
- The parade will close Main Ave. and 5th Street from Main to E. 3rd Ave to parking and traffic. The closure times are:
- 500 block of Main and 5th Street from Main to E. 3rd Ave - closed starting at 3 pm until about 5:30 pm
- Main from College to 13th Street - closed starting at 4:45 pm until about 6 pm
- A special FREE shuttle is offered this evening. The shuttle will run between the Transit Center, 250 W. 8th Street, and the Fairgrounds, 2500 Main Ave., approximately every 20 minutes beginning at 4 p.m. The final shuttle will depart the Transit Center at 10 p.m
@ Transit Center
- 6:30 to 9:30 pm - Street Dance - free live music, food and beer available for purchase (live music - 6:30 pm Six Dollar String Band, 7:45 pm Desert Child)
- 9:15 pm - 4th of July drone show with custom and patriotic formations. Check out this short video from last year, this year's show is bigger and better!